There are quite a few resources available these days to help home buyers purchase their own properties without using the services of a real estate agent. Although still in the minority, the main reason people do this is to save on the cost of real estate commissions (the seller pays the commission owed to the listing agent and buyer’s agent but it comes out of the purchase price of the property, which is paid by the buyer).
While representing yourself is a way to save money, for the majority of people, the time and effort they put into the process of buying Toronto real estate will end up being more costly in the long run than the cost of the commission they’d end up paying if they hired an agent.
Here’s a snapshot of the extensive services we provide to our clients. Are these things you want to be doing on your own?
- Send you daily emails of the new properties on the market that meet your criteria that are in your price point and desired Toronto neighbourhood
- Make all appointments to view homes and coordinate showings
- Once in a home, we’ll give you estimates of the costs involved in any mechanical or cosmetic renovations that are needed along with providing you with information on the lifespan of all of the mechanical elements and when they will likely need replacing
- Inform you of any structural/mechanical issues in the home that could cause problems later on (we do this preliminarily only. A home inspector will give you more detailed advice during your inspection)
- Inform you of any important changes in the real estate market and mortgage rules
- Provide any neighbourhood info you need on schools, property types, prices, local amenities, municipal services, etc.
- If applicable, provide any zoning/building restrictions that may affect you
- Provide information on property taxes, utility costs, etc. of any properties that interest you
- Explain all of the forms involved in the buying process, closing procedures and costs and mortgage approvals
- Provide you with a list of qualified handymen, contractors, lawyers, insurance agents, etc.
- Once you find a home that you’d like to buy, we’ll handle the preparation of all of the offer paperwork and give you advice on conditions to include for your protection and will write and present the offer to the seller
- Negotiate on your behalf to attain the lowest price with the best possible terms for you. This could mean a number of offer sign backs as we move through the negotiation process
- Arrange for all of the necessary property inspections and mortgage approvals
- Liaise with your lawyer, the seller’s lawyer and the listing agent/seller as needed to ensure a smooth closing
If you decide to buy privately you’ll be doing all of this yourself. Remember: it’s our job to act as an intermediary between you and the seller from the first showing to the closing day and we’re legally obligated to work in your best interest at all times. Can you afford to leave the purchase of such a large investment to anything other than a trained professional?
Are you thinking of buying a property and want to hire an agent but don’t know where to start? We’re happy to help! Just call us at #416-291-7372 or email us at email@example.com. We’re happy to help!